[MEncoder-users] Quiet output piping

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 15 18:49:59 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:17:14PM +0100, Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
> >Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> >
> >>Hello Bill,
> >>It's not only to supress any other messages going to stdout/stderr but
> >>also to get mencoder to put the video data to stdout. I didn't get
> >>that working yet. It is possible, I heard, to read mplayer's input
> >>from stdin, but as for mencoder I have no success.
> >>
> >>Regards
> >>
> >>Stefan
> >>
> >-o /dev/stdout would work, if only stdout were usable
> >
> Oh, thank you. Didn't know it's so simple :-)
> I am interested in using stdout. Is anyone here to take it as a feature
> request?

a couple problems:
1, mencoder can't write a valid avi file without seeking. the headers
will be blank. this is rather bad... but with some programs and some
codecs the file will still be readable..
2, other junk is sent to stdout too. but you can work around that with
something like:

mencoder -o /dev/fd/3 [options here] 3>&1 >/dev/null

rich