[MEncoder-users] Using SI units in mencoder

asym mencoder at rfnj.org
Wed Feb 9 13:03:07 CET 2005

At 06:40 2/9/2005, Trent Piepho wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, asym wrote:
> they are
> > > does.  SI
> > >
> > >Probably because the use of kilobyte to mean 2^10 bytes was around for
> decades
> > >before IEEE came up with a new name.  The IEEE basically told
> programmers that
> > >they need to stop using the terms they've used since bytes were invented
> > >because hard drive manfacture's marketing departments want them.
> >
> > The is just so much BS.  The use of kilobyte to mean 10^3 bytes was around
> > long long long before software developers and self righteous technophiles
>
>Really?  The datasheet for the 4004 microprocessor,
>http://www.piercefuller.com/collect/i4004/, from 1971 uses K to mean 1024 when
>referring to numbers of bytes or bits.  Do you have a reference to kilobytes
>meaning 1000 bytes that predates that?

Try every storage device or mainframe from IBM produced in the roughly 15
years prior to the 4004.  All of these, like the RAMAC (~1956), Ramkit, etc
predate the microprocessor, not just the 4004.  All of them listed
capacities in kilobytes or megabytes using the standard, correct SI
notation -- multiples of 1000.

The 2310 Ramkit had "1.024 megabytes" of storage -- obviously a
power-of-two design, but they didn't just call it a "1 megabyte" drive
because it had significantly more storage space than 10^6.