[MEncoder-users] Using SI units in mencoder

asym mencoder at rfnj.org
Wed Feb 9 11:31:21 CET 2005

At 19:06 2/8/2005, Trent Piepho wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, asym wrote:
> > Software won't change either, too much of it from too many different
> > authors for it to be corrected within our lifetimes.  And software
> > developers, like the one responding, have "staked a claim" that they are
> > unwilling to give up.  Years ago the IEEE recommended people call 1024
> > bytes a "kibibyte" and abbreviate it "KiB" but to this day nobody
> does.  SI
>
>Probably because the use of kilobyte to mean 2^10 bytes was around for decades
>before IEEE came up with a new name.  The IEEE basically told programmers that
>they need to stop using the terms they've used since bytes were invented
>because hard drive manfacture's marketing departments want them.

The is just so much BS.  The use of kilobyte to mean 10^3 bytes was around
long long long before software developers and self righteous technophiles
hijacked the term, started crying "everyone else is wrong", and called it
2^10.  Long before these mass storage companies even existed, let alone had
marketing departments or called them "hard drives."

> > doesn't want people calling it "KB" because in SI, capital letters mean
> > something -- K means Kelvin, B means Bel, which is why the magnitude is
> > always in lowercase when dealing with SI.
>
>Not so, M = mega, m = milli, P = peta, p = pico.  For example, Mm are
>mega-meters.

Right ok, but the fact remains, the units to the right of the magnitude are
already well defined in the SI -- the same place the prefixes have been
borrowed from.

Hijacking the SI prefixes (kilo-, mega-, etc.) and then ignoring their true
meaning is akin to creating a new car, saying it gets 100 mpg in the city,
then redefining the size of the gallon (or the mile) to justify your statement.

Kilobyte means 1000 bytes, always has, always will.  Megabyte means 1000
kilobytes, always has, always will.

Any scientist using SI will tell you this is the case; a kilometer is 1000
meters not 1024 meters.  Any telecom engineer selling bandwidth will tell
you this is the case; 1megabit/sec is 10^6 bits/sec, not (2^10)^2 bits/sec
.  Any electronics engineer will tell you this is the case; a kilohertz is
1000Hz not 1024Hz.  Ad infinitum.

Who says a kilobyte is 1024 bytes?  A very small minority of the
professional industry using the SI prefixes -- and legions of developers
(and users) with bad habits that don't know any better.  Saying this all
comes down to a marketing ploy by harddrive manufacturers who are wrong vs.
everyone else who is right is completely without merit, socially
irresponsible, and plain wrong.

-asym