[MEncoder-users] Broken AVI files???

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 8 09:19:38 CET 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:51:21 -0500 (EST)
Charles Wilcox <willo at wpi.edu> wrote:

> I have experienced problems playing some 'mencoder' produced AVI files
> in Windows Media Player, and Real Player.  I have narrowed down the
> problem to be files I created using a 2-pass (video & audio) encode,
> whereas files created with a 3-pass (audio separate, then 2-pass
> video) play fine.

Actually, this sounds like a bug that was recently fixed in mencoder...
Windows Media Player (others?) expect certain header info in Xvid files
to be blank, while mencoder was setting them to real values.  Try with a
CVS snapshot, and see if it solves your problem.

Strange that you get it to work with 3-pass encoding, though...