[MEncoder-users] error with subtitles from dvd

Alexey com at nforum.de
Tue Feb 8 05:48:29 CET 2005

Hi everybody!

I've got a probem with the ripping of subtitles from a DVD. I do that
with:

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /pah/to/image -ifo
path/to/image/VTS_01_0.IFO -vobsubout subtitles -vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 0
-nosound -ovc copy -o /dev/null

This runs just fine.

But when I try to merge them with mkvmerge into a matroska conatainer I
get this warning:

Warning: vobsub_reader: '/tmp/subtitles.idx', line 45: The current
timestamp (00:04:43.479) is smaller than the last one (00:04:43.480).
mkvmerge will sort the entries according to their timestamps. This might
result in the wrong order for some subtitle entries. If this is the case
then you have to fix the .idx file manually.
Warning: spu_extract_duration: Encountered broken SPU packet (next_off <
start_off) at timecode 00:04:43.479. This packet might be displayed
incorrectly or not at all.

And there is really one subtitle block missing although its only one
sentence. It just doesnt appear. When I play the file with mplayer the
text goes on with the next sentence spoken. When I play it with VLC in
windows the subtitle stop at this position and dont appear again.

Does anyone know an alternative way on how to get DVD subtitles with
mplayer? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Or what about another
alternative native program? I need a command line interface solution
since I am writing a bash script.

Your help would be really appreciated since I finished all other steps
and this subtitle issue is the only thing that keeps me from ripping all
my dvds.

I use/have installed:
mplayer-1.0_pre5-r5
libdvdread-0.9.4
libdvdcss-1.2.8

(Maybe I need another program of the libdvd* series.)

Regards

Alexey