[MEncoder-users] VHS capturing 2 avi

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 21 08:58:12 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:38:18 +0100
M Daniel R M <4.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it'd be better to use -oac lavc with acodec=mp3
> instead of lame, maybe processing were a bit more fluently.

lavc mp3 uses lame for encoding, so they're essentially the same.  With
-oac mp3lame, you can specify a lot more quality options (aq=, preset=,
etc.)

> I see you're right with the trell:ildct:ilme set, but you're using the
> vbitrate= option..., is that better for you than the vqscale= that
> they told me? Does it care really?

With vbitrate, you'll commonly see cases after a very complex scene
(like static/noise) the following scenes will look terrible (up to the
next keyframe--up to 5s), because all the bits were used for that
complex scene, and there's practically none left over.  With vqscale, it
will use whatever number of bits are necessary to encode that scene at
the selected quality, and doesn't depend on the scenes before/after at
all.