[MEncoder-users] Re: that Inu Yasha material with dotcrawl

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Dec 18 11:01:33 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:47:37PM -0800, Phil Ehrens wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:12:08PM -0800, Phil Ehrens wrote:
> > > Aha, I think I figured it out!
> > >
> > > The dvd being ripped had titles at 30 fps, but the anime was of course
> > > at 24 fps, so the whole thing was probably treated as if it were 30
> > > fps instead of treating it like the source was 24 fps.
> >
> > Eh?
>
> I know, I'm coming right out of the blue with this. It's a stupid thing with
> U.S. dvd's... they glue some 30fps stuff at the front of the main title,
> and if you really did the wrong thing you could wind up making the whole thing
> 30 fps and then bring it back to 24 fps afterwards and get all sorts of bad
> artifacts, depending on just how badly you interlaced/deinterlaced.

Ummm...yeah. You mean as a separate clip at the beginning of the
video? Or over top of frames thruout?

> Otherwise, how could he have gotten such bad dotcrawl from dvd's that I
> have ripped without a problem?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the dotcrawl. If you're sure
the official R1 DVDs you have are clean, then he got dotcrawl because
he bought pirated "region 0" discs from some disreputable vendor.

Rich