[MEncoder-users] Compilation problem: ./configure cannot find x286

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 16:37:58 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 02:43:20PM +0300, Phil Oleynik wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:36:10AM +0100, Lothar Mader wrote:
> >
> >>Hello all!
> >>

> >>I am trying to compile MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 with x286 support
> >>

> >Sorry, MPlayer does not support Intel 80286 cpu. You need a proper
> >32bit system to compile it. How did you get Linux to run on a 286
> >anyway?! Or are you using Minix or something like that?
> >
> >Rich
> >

> I think, its about x264 ;))) *Daily dose of laugh consumed*
> AFAIK no release, including pre7try2 is able to play x264 normally. I
> mean, it _might_ work,
> but I really recommend to use CVS.

It works, you just have to check out a compatible revision of x264. The
latest 100% compatible revision for mplayer pre7 appears to be x264
revision 210.  This would be checked out with the command:
svn co --revision 210 svn://svn.videolan.org/x264/trunk x264
If you already have the source tree, you can also use "svn up .
--revision 210". Interestingly, the latest revision number is 387. It
seems like there should be some tie-in with the joke above...

If you happen to be interested in h.264, using these old versions is
a bit of a handicap. Current x264 is capable of much better speeds and
higher quality. The libavcodec included in the pre7 package is about 25%
slower at decoding h.264, compared to today's cvs. It also has at least
one nasty and easily triggered crash bug I know of, and there's more
stuff it just can't decode at all.