[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 23:50:54 CET 2005

Hi,

On 12/16/05, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
> On Friday, 16 December 2005 at 11:02, Loren Merritt wrote:
> > How about another hypothesis for the discrepancy in popular opinion
> > between lavc and xvid:
> > The ffmpeg devs seem to have a bias against B-frames, whereas the xvid
> > people would never consider encoding without B-frames. This leads to the
> > not-very-usable status of vb_strategy, versus the (imho pretty good)
> > adaptive B-frame placement in xvid.
>
> So you're saying XviD cannot encode well without using B-frames?

The way I read Loren's sentence was "XviD has a good adaptive B-frames
algorithm therefore B-frames can be safely turned on with XviD, when
lavc doesn't have the same feature".

What I'm wondering now is if it could be possible to add adaptive
B-frame support to lavc...

Guillaume
--
MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/