[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Fri Dec 16 11:02:34 CET 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> The visual difference isn't very visible, but it's there, for example
> there's a scene with clouded sky and falling snow, which looks better
> in lavc. Also, XviD looks a bit more "blurry" and shows more blocking
> artifacts in scenes with fine colour gradients.
>
> Here are the settings I used (pass 1 & 2)
> for XviD (1.0.3):
> -xvidencopts bitrate=900000:vhq=4:me_quality=6:max_key_interval=240:\
>     trellis:qpel:hq_ac:cartoon:max_bframes=0
> and lavc (20051213):
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900000:vqcomp=0.6:keyint=240:v4mv:\
>     trell:mbd=2:mv0:qpel:cbp:preme=2:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:\
>     predia=2:dia=2:last_pred=2

How about another hypothesis for the discrepancy in popular opinion
between lavc and xvid:
The ffmpeg devs seem to have a bias against B-frames, whereas the xvid
people would never consider encoding without B-frames. This leads to the
not-very-usable status of vb_strategy, versus the (imho pretty good)
adaptive B-frame placement in xvid.

--Loren Merritt