[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Dec 15 09:50:17 CET 2005

Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2005 08:02 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 07:52:34PM -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:
> > > Yeah, that does happen sometimes. I'm temporarily mirroring the
> > > attachments (with zip file extracted) at:
> > > http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/attach/

> I'm confused... something other than lavc was used to decode lavc when
> doing the quality tests? If so, that will *OBVIOUSLY* make lavc look
> bad due to tiny differences in the idct implementations.

Come on, it seems you are trying very hard to find excuses for lavc
slightly loosing against xvid.
For many years lavc did not even have an own FOURCC - it has been nothing
unusual to use any compatible Mpeg4 codec for playback.

Anyway, the Doom9 results are not yet online and I'm sure lavc will show
it's strengths - at least for quality in relation to encoding speed.

> The only way
> to do a fair comparison for any codec is to use the exact same idct
> for decoding as the one that was used for encoding.
>
> Can you get doom9 to clarify this, if you're not already clear on it?

Maybe this is something to put on the ffmpeg homepage and into the lavc
and mencoder documentation?

Regards,
  Matthias