[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 15 08:02:50 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 07:52:34PM -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:

> > Yeah, that does happen sometimes. I'm temporarily mirroring the
> > attachments (with zip file extracted) at:
> > http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/attach/
> >

> >>Last but not least, I initially started reviewing with the VMR9 renderless
> >>renderer in MPC, but found that both Theora and Snow (incidentally both
> >>decoded via ffdshow, where the rest of the codecs was decoded by ateme's
> >>filters, plus AviSynth is decoded by the Helix YV12 codec) were discolored,

I'm confused... something other than lavc was used to decode lavc when
doing the quality tests? If so, that will *OBVIOUSLY* make lavc look
bad due to tiny differences in the idct implementations. The only way
to do a fair comparison for any codec is to use the exact same idct
for decoding as the one that was used for encoding.

Can you get doom9 to clarify this, if you're not already clear on it?
IMO this could be the reason he doesn't think lavc is good, if he's
looking at single screenshots and zooming in real close. See the
discussion recently on the ffmpeg lists regarding the same bad quality
with xvid when decoding using lavc's default idct, or the discussions
of it on multimedia.cx.

Rich