[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Dec 12 23:54:40 CET 2005

Doom9 Feedback Hotline wrote:
>>Well, I've taken a look and they are way different. The graininess is
>>about the same, but the color, contrast, cropping and scaling are all off.
>>
>>Take a look at some frames:
>>http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/cmp/
>

> Geez. The blueish tone would make me thing different video renderers but I'm
> sure you took the shots from the same player.

Yep. mplayer -vo png (which, despite any colorspace conversions, looks
just like the video itself). Also, if you flip back and forth rapidly
between matched pairs, you can see the differences in cropping and scaling.

>>I'd really like to come up with a generic two-pass method of snow
>>encoding so it isn't necessary to find a specific vqscale value for the
>>first pass of each encode. If I can't, than I think I'd rather see snow
>>disqualified than look bad because I can't work around the lack of first
>>pass ratecontrol.
>

> Well, that's up to you of course. It isn't a must that you reach 700 MB, and
> codecs don't have to have two pass, but I suppose it benefits you if you can
> make the best use of the space available.

Really? I thought 2-pass was a requirement. I'll try to make a suitable
3-pass setup then. That should be much better (and much slower, but snow
isn't really ready to compete for speed anyway).

-Corey