[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (draft 1)

Fri Dec 9 20:41:31 CET 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.12.09 at 12:59:56 -0500, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > I tested mpeg_quant and it had a significant drop in both PSNR and
> > quality. I'd be interested in testing the kvcd tables, but I have to
> > leave right now.

Yes, PSNR comparison doesn't work here. If the quality is actually
worse, though, don't use it.

> mpeg_quant is good at high quality/high bitrates. at the insanely low
> bitrate at which this test is being performed, i think it will only
> hurt..

You know, I thought this way too, and only used it at bitrates of
1.5-2.5mbit/s. But when I tried some low-bitrate (700-800kbit/s)
encodes, I found out mpeg_quant gives better results even in that case,
both on high-motion and still scenes.
On some frames it's hard to tell which one is actually better, but at
least it's not worse.

All in all, after testing it on some different material, I came to
conclusion that mpeg_quant always gives better results (haven't checked
out very low bitrates, though). But maybe it's just my eyes.

--

Vladimir