[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Fri Dec 9 01:03:00 CET 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 18:21 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 02:12:10PM +0100, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > That is indeed interesting. I skimmed the thread, and also found
> > > some pictures and numbers:
> > >
> > > http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~zwang/files/research/quality_index/demo_len
> > >a.ht ml
> > >
> > > Is there any implementation that works on Linux?
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm not aware of any Linux implementation.
>
> best and easiest way to use this would just be to add it to lavc.

Maybe an external implementation could be even more powerful because one
could additionally investigate the effects of filters and things like
that.

It's comparable to the psnr calculation:
"-lavc psnr" can only show (for example) if v4mv is good or bad but it is
not able to show if one should use "-lavc nr=400" or better "-vf hqdn3d".
An external implementation which compares the original video file and the
recompressed video file can do this.

Regards,
  Matthias