[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Sat Dec 3 22:03:03 CET 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:34:22PM -0800, Scott W. Larson wrote:
>

>>Because the progressive formats are lower resolution,
>>

>That's the fault of idiots on the standards committees, not a
>fundamental limitation.

The Grand Alliance was really stuck with a 19.2 Mbps data rate from the
beginning. They could have probably given the progressive standard a few
more lines of resolution but they were having a difficult time getting
progressive video to work acceptably and were running out of time.

>My point was that interlacing should never
>have been in the HDTV standard whatsoever.

Yes, I understand that but it was interlaced from the beginning. I'm
grateful for that because 1080i looks utterly beautiful and I'd hate to
be stuck watching only 720p every day. I doubt I would have bought an
HDTV if 720p was the only format. For filmed material it's only somewhat
better than a good DVD and the benefits of progressive scan video are
rarely seen (mostly during long pans).

>No, actually interlacing increases the bandwidth requirements
>massively.

If you know how to cram 1080p 60 fps into 19.2 Mbps with MPEG-2, dozens
of companies will want your help.

>>and aren't as efficient and flexible.
>>

>Nonsense. Progressive is more efficient (in terms of bitrate) and also
>more flexible (can be framerate-resampled, spatially scaled, ...).

Which gets the HDTV consumer what exactly?

>Again this is all because the system was designed by idiots.

Calling thousands of people idiots is easy. Creating a standard for a
complicated consumer product that has affected every part of a huge
industry is a difficult task. But it works and I thank every one of
those idiots for making it possible.