[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Dec 3 16:10:13 CET 2005

Am Samstag, 3. Dezember 2005 14:18 schrieb Guillaume POIRIER:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/3/05, Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> What about *_mask?
>>
>> Doom9 does not compare PSNRs, so *_mask might help a lot. (I use
>> border_mask=0.15 for my realtime TV recordings and it works very
>> well)
>
> I'd not recommend it: this kind of option does not improve visual
> quality a heck of a lot,

?? The only purpose of those options is to improve visual quality. Even a
slight improvement is better than nothing.

> and when they do, it widely depends on the
> kind of monitor you use.
>
> For instance, the encodes I did when I had a CRT now look terrible on
> my TFT :-(

Probably because your TFT and your CRT have differing gamma values. Maybe
you can adjust them to a gamma value of 2.2.

If used carefully border_mask, scplx_mask, dark_mask and lumi_mask can
improve visual quality. Keep in mind, that the other competitors use
those 'psychosensory' settings even more (Nero, ms, divx6,
realvideo,...).

Regards,
  Matthias