[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (also questions for Doom9)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Dec 2 23:34:01 CET 2005

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>>also try the newer spp based postprocessing filters if the CPU is fast enough
>>
>>I'm starting to really like spp=2,noise=3ah
>>- spp seems to deblock without smearing as much of the original detail
>>- adding noise masks the smeared parts and makes places where the film
>>grain managed to get encoded stand out a bit less.
>
> also try fspp

I have now. Why does fspp's "quality" parameter only have a range of 4-5
while spp's range is 0-8? If I could specify fspp=2, that might be the
right choice. spp=2 debocks just about the right amount.

As far as speed goes, spp=2 seems to be faster than fspp=4.

$ time mplayer 2.avi -vf <x> -frames 2400 -nosound -vo null -benchmark

User times for <x> filters:
  (none)  0m1.463s
  spp=2   0m14.498s
  spp=3   0m29.919s