[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 2 21:12:56 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 06:36:55AM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> >
> > Better? PAL is worse in most ways, the most notable being the
> > irreversible dotcrawl and rainbow effects due to 4-refresh period of
> > the chroma carrier's phase rather than just 2-refresh. The only
> > benefit is a few extra lines of vertical resolution.
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Unless I'm mistaken, I've noticed dotcrawl on NTSC too. I don't know

Yes, both have it, very bad. The low period makes it possible to have
some hope of reversing it with filters on NTSC. PAL has no such hope.

> If you do a google search for 'PAL vs NTSC' you do get an overwhelming
> number of pages in support of PAL. Maybe this is just a widely held
> but ignorant point of view.

IMO yes.

> Personally, as someone who is used to the 4% speedup (but smoothness)
> of PAL, when I watch pulldown'd NTSC I see a slightly visible speed
> up, slow down, speed up, slow down, all the time. This really annoys
> me.

Presentation of film-rate content sucks on both NTSC and PAL.

> I think with the movement to HDTV anyway, the whole NTSC vs PAL thing
> will stop being an issue. (People can fight about HDTV formats then
> instead)

Yes, and unfortunately there are plenty of bass-ackwards HDTV formats
too (interlacing?? wtf?? why is that crap still there?)

Rich