[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Dec 2 20:26:58 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 02:11:30PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 02:48:38PM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> > On 12/2/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> > >
> > > The region coding is irrelevant. The problem is ntsc vs pal.
> > >
> > > Rich
> > >

> > Most modern TV/DVD player combinations support both PAL and NTSC, so I
> > assumed the only problem the original poster is having is with a
> > region-locked player; one that would still play either PAL/NTSC as
> > long as it wasn't set to another region.
>
> Not sure what you mean by most modern. I've never seen a TV/DVD player
> in the US that supports PAL, except for special international models
> used in libraries/research. LCD/plasma/whatever crap should easily
> support PAL, yes, but a standard non-multisync CRT (with superior
> picture) is only going to support one video standard.

What he means is that you can have a NTSC DVD player that can play a
PAL encoded DVD disk outputting the proper signal to a NTSC TV (the quality
of the signal may be questionable, but you can see the picture on the TV).
Such DVD players (region 1) may refuse to play other region disks unless
you know the player hack or you make the dvd disk region free.

Giacomo