[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 2 20:11:30 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 02:48:38PM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> >
> > The region coding is irrelevant. The problem is ntsc vs pal.
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Most modern TV/DVD player combinations support both PAL and NTSC, so I
> assumed the only problem the original poster is having is with a
> region-locked player; one that would still play either PAL/NTSC as
> long as it wasn't set to another region.

Not sure what you mean by most modern. I've never seen a TV/DVD player
in the US that supports PAL, except for special international models
used in libraries/research. LCD/plasma/whatever crap should easily
support PAL, yes, but a standard non-multisync CRT (with superior
picture) is only going to support one video standard.

Rich