[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (also questions for Doom9)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 10:43:17 CET 2005

Hi,

On 12/2/05, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> Well, I finally went and rented The Matrix and started messing around.
> For now I'm concentrating only on mpeg4 -- I'll deal with the exciting
> part (snow) later.

Once again, I'd like to ask for anyone who has some SSE/MMX knowledge
to help me fix SIMD-accelerated Snow decoding on AMD64. I should give
a small encoding speed boost too.

[..]

> I will investigate qns=2; if it looks much better I might recommend it,
> depending on the fps hit.

My experience with qns is that it mostly helped when the bitrate was
low enough that the video would look blocky.

> I may recommend turbo for the first pass, if
> it doesn't look worse.

I've been talking with Nico Sabi about changing how "turbo" works to a
way similar to what we do for x264:
turbo=1: speed-up encode with negligible PSNR difference (this should
be more or less the original version of turbo I committed)
turbo=2: speed-up some more while impacting PSNR a bit. (that would be
current version of turbo)

That way we could safely recommend using turbo.

Guillaume
--
MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/