[MEncoder-users] Need some hints for my tv recording concept

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 31 16:50:02 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:38:22AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. August 2005 23:25 schrieb Rich Felker:

> > > That's not totally true. At least (some?) saa7134 cards have an nice
> > > deinterlacer. For example, capturing PAL with 640x480 results in a
> > > nice progressive video without interlacing artefacts.
> >
> > This is fundamentally impossible. There's no such thing as a nice
> > half-framerate deinterlacer.
>
> "[...]without +visible+ interlacing artefacts".

Arrg people are so ignorant!!!
Interlacing is not an artifact. Combing is -- that's what happens when
you stupidly put two fields together that don't belong together and
show them as one. However your "nice progressive video" coming out of
the deinterlacer is not nice, it's missing half the pictures!!!

> And yes, there are nice
> deinterlacers (dscaler, xine,.. have some really good ones).

DScaler has 50/60 fps deinterlacers, some of which are nice. Xine does
not have any nice deinterlacer; they're destructive just like
mplayer's...

Rich