[MEncoder-users] Patent free codec

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Aug 22 18:42:15 CEST 2005

Hi

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 05:47:26PM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Phil Ehrens wrote:
> >Rich Felker wrote:
> >
> >>My claim is that everything is patent-free from a moral and legal
> >>standpoint, because the patents are invalid. However that won't help
> >>you when you get sued... :(
> >

> >Better to let lawyers worry about this. Coders don't understand
> >the law, and lawyers don't understand code... let's try and keep
> >it this way, we don't want lawyers in here, do we? Like Richard
> >says, being right doesn't stop you from getting sued, being
> >quiet does.
> >
> >;^)
> >
> I find it surprising that no one blames the standards bodies. If ISO or
> IEEE aor ANSII were forbidden to make patented stuff into official
> standards, a lot of things would be simplified...

yes, i fully agree that ISO,IEEE,ANSI,ITU, ... are responsible for a large
part of the situation, if they would reject non royality free stuff then
companies who want a international standard would have to accept that and
allow royality free use of "their" patented stuff for the specific standard
they could also ignore the standards bodies and come up with their own
patented standard but i doubt that would happen, as there is IMHO no
advantage for them in doing so

[...]
--
Michael