[MEncoder-users] Free of patents codec

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Mon Aug 22 17:47:58 CEST 2005

Oded Shimon wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:07:52AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
>

>> Fix your mailer. Deleting all these blank >>>> lines is getting old..
>> It triples the number of blank reply lines every time you reply..
>>

> Nico's mailer also does this I think? It drives me mad. :/
>

>> No, but apparently you could buy linux "copyright infringement
>> insurance" (re: SCO) from Redhat... :(
>>

> LOL, is that serious??..
>
> BTW, in the history of all open source, how much damage has actually
> been ever done over software patents? TBH I've NEVER heard of a single
> software patent lawsuit.. I know something happened with GNU regarding
> GIF, but I don't even know if that was ever taken to court or settled
> without lawyers... Quite a damn lot of open source people seem to be
> "scared" by some huge potential threat that has just about shown a
> track record of doing absoloutely nothing...

There was no court case involving GIF and GNU and no out of court
settlement AFAIK. GNU made a fuss for (good) political reasons.

And yes.. you are right... sadly a lot of the law has that affect on
people these days. If are in the UK see the fear the words "Data
protection Act" and "Health and Safety" engenders in people. Then ask
them if they know anyone (or anyone who knows anyone) who has ever been
sued or sent to jail for breaking these terrifying laws.

Raphael