[MEncoder-users] Free of patents codec

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Mon Aug 22 10:31:17 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 02:08:13AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>

>>Hi

>>>This is pure propaganda. One cannot grant any type of license, much
>>>less permenant/royalty-free/irrevocable, on patents held by third
>>>parties who are quite hostile to such things. :)
>>>

>>well, why not fix the wiki then?
>>

>1, i don't have wikipedia account and don't feel like getting started
>on a new form of crack..
>2, i suspect correcting this misinformation will just bring huge
>flames. :( attacking xiph/theora is like attacking scientology...
>
>rich

I am already regretting saying this but... who are the third parties in
the case of VP3? Are these unnamed theoretical third parties or some
specific group that On2 is in deniable about?  Also, I am not sure a
clear distinction is being made between patents that appear in the
record (i.e. were accepted by the patent office) and patents that have
any chance at all of standing up in court.  There are plenty of patents
on the books in the US that are clearly indefensible.

Raphael