[MEncoder-users] Strange handling of time arguments passed to -ss

Moritz Beller moritzbeller at gmx.de
Mon Aug 22 00:07:20 CEST 2005

Hello!

Given an MPEG-2 TS video file which I recirded from my DVB-S TV card,
mplayer seems to have some huge problems with the time lapse. It says
the stream starts off at position 08:10:00, which doesn't particularly
make any sense. Now, that is OK, it's no harm, I could live with it. In
fact, the problem arises that mencoder again sees the whole issue quite
differently, by which I mean its handling of the arguments passed to -ss
is - at best - simply "undefined behaviour".
If I  give -ss 600s, which should begin the encoding process at postion
(streamstart+10 min), it begins to record somewhere in the middle of the
file. If, however, mencoder is being called with "small values" such as
-ss 2 -endpos 1, it nicely jumps to position streamstart+2s, and then
records a file of 1s.

As it stands, the value passed to -ss in this odd example is for sure
not as defined by the SI (seconds), nor any other unit for the measure
of time I know of.

Strangely enough, the value passed to -endpos is interpreted correctly,
regardless of its size.

Moritz
--
(o_    web	http://www.4momo.de