[MEncoder-users] Can you slow down mencoder?

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Sat Aug 20 01:31:55 CEST 2005

> > > That will not be random but deterministic.
> >
> > I didn't say it's random, that's why I put it in quotes and said,
> > "apparently random." In other words, deterministic. But a bug in the
> code
> > wouldn't necessarily show up on the same frame number every time, it may
> > show up when there's some sort of unexpected and improperly handled
> > collision on a resource of some type that may not happen at precisely
> the
> > same time every time.
>
> I've told you again and again: there is no possibility of "resource
> collision". This only happens when you're writing programs that are
> threaded or otherwise have "realtime inputs". MEncoder is not such a
> program!! The ONLY realtime input, unless you're capturing from tv-in,
> is the system clock, and it's only used for predicting total encode
> time and showing the current average encode rate. Unless you think the
> crash is in the code to printf the status line, there is no room for
> such an error.
>
> > When you take into consideration that both instances were started by
> hand at
> > different offsets in time, each encoding a different file each time,
> there's
> > no reason I'd expect it to happen on the same frame.
>
> Then you're an idiot. There's no interaction between the two. A
> program with deterministic inputs behaves exactly the same time each
> time it's run, regardless of any other system load.
>
> > > Again, I am completely positive that your crash is due to faulty
> > > hardware or buggy OS. It is unrelated to mencoder.
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > And again, all evidence to the contrary, I'm going to have to disagree.
> >
> > And it's not as if mencoder is entirely bug free. I've had it crash for
> > variety of reasons from various CVS updates I've done.
>
> I agree totally that MEncoder is full of bugs. However you have not
> found one of them. All you have found is your own faulty hardware.
>
> Rich

Rich, I'm not going to respond to you anymore after this because frankly,
from your history of posts, it's clear you're a smug, arrogant prick. You
call everyone stupid and calling me an idiot means nothing to me coming from
you.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to mine.
You can disagree, and that's fine. I'm really just sick of you calling
people stupid and acting like you're so fucking superior, because the fact
is, you're just some little prick with an inferiority complex that feels
better about himself by trying to put other people down.

Grow up.

Pete