[MEncoder-users] Problems to encode in x264

Anthony Jacob anthonyjacob at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 15 21:40:16 CEST 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Probably because your mencoder has not been compiled with x264
> support, that's all. Install it first, then recompile mencoder, which
> should solve your problem.

Yes, that's right. In fact, I was able to read video in H264 but I
haven't the support of x264. I found how to have the x264 support under
Gentoo :
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-290172-highlight-x264.html
There are ebuilds on :
http://ogmrip.sf.net/ebuilds (thanks to the author !)

Now I've questions about the options to use with x264 ; I've encoded an
episode of Ally McBeal (40 min for 300M) and I haven't seen any
difference between 'lavc' and 'x264' (x264 was more long to encode).

Anthony