[MEncoder-users] convert real media video

Rio Mascarenhas carmaski at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 03:35:41 CEST 2005

Thank you Guillaume and Rich for taking your time to
help me get this to work. I think Guillaume’s
suggestion for deleting the old codecs.conf – file in
/mplayer did the job for me.

	To someone else who is going to try to convert real
video to avi – one of the ways to do it is by issuing
the following commands. (I am not used to working with
codecs at all – but this is what I used.)

mencoder realvideo.rm -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o
movie.avi -ffourcc DX50

mencoder realvideo.rm -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o
movie.avi -ffourcc DX50

-ffourcc DX50 – I figured out after much research that
the video produced by mencoder is an MPEG4, its header
uses the code FMP4 which is not widely recognized – so
I could not open it with anything including Windows
Media player, Real Player and Virtual Dub. A header
with DX50 claims that the video is DivX 5 (hence
MPEG4) compatible and should therefore play on any
media player that can play MPEG4 video.

	Once I converted my files to avi I used the
RealProducer Basic to get my work done.

Thanks to you guys,
Rio