[MEncoder-users] creating movies from jpegs

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Aug 13 02:58:27 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:34:33PM +0000, Jesse Corrington wrote:
> I am trying to make a movie from 250 jpeg images.  CUrrently i am doing
> this to make it.
>
> mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf type=jpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=1
> -nosound -o corrppmovie.avi
> mp4creator --allow-avi-files -c corrppmovie.avi corrppmovie.mp4
>
> The problem is that the movies i get aren't as high of quality as i would
> like.  The movie doesn't have to be an mp4, but it does need to be able to
> play in quicktime, and be smoothly seekable.  Also if it could be made from
> tiffs, that would be even better.  Thanks in advance for the help.

You should read the documentation, first of all. You haven't even
specified a bitrate or quality, much less used 2 pass encoding. Also,
quality will always be crap with all keyframes (keyint=1) unless you
use insanely high bitrate. In fact if you want all key frames, you're
best off just keeping the jpegs as-is with -ovc copy, which will give
you an mjpeg file..

Mainly tho, READ THE DOCS. They explain encoding very well.

Rich