[MEncoder-users] Audio from the wrong part of the movie

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Aug 3 22:07:34 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday, 03 August 2005 at 20:41, Tomasz Primke wrote:
> I have a problem with mencoder (I suppose). I learned how to rip from the page
> http//gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide (it was on the last
> Sunday). I was doing it as follows:
>
> $ mencoder dvd://1 -ovc frameno -oac lavc -o frameno.avi
> $ mencoder dvd://1 -o /dev/null -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=[some_value]:vhq:vpass=1 -vop scale=720:480; \
> mencoder dvd://1 -o test.avi -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=[some_value]:vhq:vpass=2 -vop scale=720:480

You see, that's the problem with third-party guides. They're often
obsolete. Half of the options you used are deprecated. Please use official
MPlayer/MEncoder docs for reference. They are up to date and available in
several languages.

> After the first command mencoder was telling me about bitrate and number of
> CDs (e.g. if I wanted to have a movie on two 700MB CDs I should use a bitrate
> given by this command).
>
> My problem was that if I was ripping this way for 2 CDs I was getting one huge
> avi file. (I wanted to cut it with avidemux later, but this is not a
> problem.) When I was trying to play this file (with avidemux), I was getting
> the message:
>
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8e95cc0]ac-tex damaged at 31 15
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8e95cc0]Error at MB: 721
> [mpeg4 @ 0x8e95cc0]concealing errors
>
>  error in FFMP43/mpeg4!
>
> (there were more such errors; they were always at 721 MB)
>
> If I riped for 1 CD all was OK. I also got no errors when I ripped with
> -endpos (I set it to 5-6 minutes).

The proper way to rip a DVD to multiple CDs is not to cut the resulting
file afterwards, but encode half of the DVD chapters to one CD and the
other half to the other. That way, if the DVD is well-mastered, you won't
happen to have dialogue cut in the middle between CDs.

Of course, if you want simply to cut a movie at a certain point in time
or in size, you can do that using mencoder in streamcopy mode with
-ss/sb and -endpos. See the man page for details.

> I have posted about this problem on LinuxQuestions.org,

I'm sorry to say this, but LQs are rarely useful in my experience.

Regards,
R.