[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Jean Hoderd jhoderd at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 13:31:24 CEST 2005

> And the reason the quality is so bad is because he's failing to
> inverse-telecine it (which may not be possible if it was converted
> NTSC->PAL in some of the usual ways..)
>
> Rich

Hi everybody,

Thanks for letting me now about this "particularity" of Anime PAL DVDs.
I have read the docs in www.animemusicvideos.org and I think I understood
its contents.
Unfortunately, its seems that my DVDs have suffered from this crappy
conversion, and I reckon they are so messed up it is impossible to
"unmess" them.  I feel robbed.

Still, this leaves me with a couple of questions which I hope someone
will be kind enough to answer:

1) Is one better off buying NTSC DVDs for Anime?  What about american
   animation such as the Simpsons, or even non-animated american TV series?

2) Is there any website that keeps track of these crappy DVD releases?
   As a consumer, I would like to know.

3) Since the originals are 24fps, why are not the PAL releases just
   slightly "sped up" versions of the original, like with cinema?
   Is this an example of greedy and clueless publishers?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jean