[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Tue Apr 19 19:03:39 CEST 2005

Jean Hoderd wrote:

> > I would second that emphatically. Don't scale at all and
> > you will get much better results.
> >
> I scaled down because I noticed block artifacts in the
> unscaled version.  As a matter of fact, I still notice
> some blocks even at 640x480.  Perhaps I am doing something
> very wrong with my lavc and xvid options, in which case
> your help would be appreciated.

If you are seeing encoding artifacts after doing two pass
lavc backup of dvd's, you need to lose some of your options.
If scaling down looks better, it's only because you are
getting some statistical blur, at the cost of detail.

What's wrong with:

-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:v4mv:trell:vpass=$N:vbitrate=1800
-ofps 24000/1001

and maybe some hqdn3d depending on the source?

And remember folks, we are talking anime here, not live action.

Phil