[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 19 15:18:00 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 06:00:21AM -0700, Jean Hoderd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am backing up part of my anime collection, and therefore
> I am looking for good quality settings.  The video bitrate
> available after the audio coding is around 1720 kbps, and
> I was thinking of using a 640x480 resolution based on the
> recommendations of the calcbpp.pl script.
> (The video is PAL, interlaced, 25fps, and 4/3 aspect ratio).

Anime is never interlaced, always telecined. If your PAL discs show
combing, they might have been framerate-converted from NTSC rather
than remastered, meaning basically they suck. Just download your
"backups" instead.

On the other hand, you can _try_ using one of the inverse telecine
filters (pullup or maybe filmdint is the most likely to work) and see
if it's some strange kind of PAL telecine, but don't hold your
breath..

Also with that much bitrate available I'd keep the original 704x576
resolution rather than scaling down..

Rich