[MEncoder-users] Encoding HDTV files -- mplayer OK, mencoder loses sync

David Shay davideshay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 06:28:21 CEST 2005

I am having a trouble encoding HDTV files down to lower-resolution and
bitrate MPEG2 files for playing on an A/V appliance (Hauppauge
MediaMVP), although the issue is apparent even when playing through
mplayer itself.

Anyway, mplayer plays the files perfectly without any loss of AV sync,
on both Unix and Windows machines.  When using mencoder, however, it
loses sync, even with a very simple command:

mencoder -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=4000 -ofps 30000/1001 -vf
scale=640:360,expand=0:-120 -of mpeg $INFILE -o $OUTFILE

I do get errors such as:

ERROR: SCR: 33.011 VPTS: 32.999 DELTA=-0.012 secs

I am using CVS mencoder from a few weeks ago, but I believe I had the
issue with stock mencoder of recent ilk as well.

These files are recorded using a pcHDTV 3000 card using the DVB
drivers and using mythTV, and are saved as MPEG TS (transport
streams).

Any thoughts?  I have also tried various -mpegopts as well, to no
avail.  I've tried -mc 0 and -noskip, although from reading other
recent posts that appears to be a Bad Idea in general, and indeed it
didn't help things.