[MEncoder-users] dvd ripping

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Oct 8 01:25:46 CEST 2004

On Thursday, 07 October 2004 at 23:13, Matthew Paterson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could someone point out to me what the most useful options for mencoder
> are. I have read the man page, and understand most of it, but I need some
> advice on ripping a dvd.

Have you read the docs in DOCS/tech/, especially encoding-tips.txt?
Granted, some are a bit out-of-date, but still worth reading. Searching
mplayer-users and mplayer-dev-eng archives will yield some interesting
results, too.

Oh and make sure you've read the HTML docs on MEncoder. They cover most
important options. The rest is manpage+expermentation, because there is no
best-quality-ever set of options.

Basically cropping the black bars and scaling to multiple-of-16 dimensions
is a good beginning, mbd=2 and trellis quantization are always a win. The
rest usually depends on source material (you may need some inverse
telecine filter for NTSC DVDs, for example).

> Space isnt an issue, but I really want high quality. Is upping the vbr the
> best way to clear a pixelated or grainy image?

To get rid of blockiness, yes. To get rid of grain or noise I'd recommend
denoising filter, like hqdn3d.

> How about pre-processing?

You mean post-processing? There are some pp filters, but they're not
necessary with DVD material usually (unless it's interlaced).

HTH,
R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/