[MEncoder-users] Processing intelaced videos.

Michal Schulz michal.schulz at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 09:19:24 CET 2004

Hello.

I'm trying to process interlaced images in such a way, that they could be
nicely compressed using mencoder, but then saved on DVD as interlaced movies
again. I really do not want to deinterlace them.

I have found out, that if I would encode the video captured from my TV card
(bt878 based) without any processing, it would compress badly. Therefore
currently I use following mencoder options (plus some regarded to
audio/video codec):

mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:input=1:width=720:height=576:forceaudio:amode=1:forcechan=2 -vf
il=d:d -o film.avi tv://

Here I split the interlaced video in such a way, that two half-images are
separated and better compressed.

The problem raises, when I try to feed mpeg2enc with such a video:

mplayer -nosound -noframedrop -noautosub -vo yuv4mpeg -vf il=i:i file.avi &
cat stream.yuv | mpeg2enc -I 1 .....

mplayer generates interlaced video but the stream.yuv doesn't contain
information about it. mpeg2enc sees the input stream as non-interlaced and
complains that chroma information will be damaged.

How can I tell mplayer/mencoder pair to generate the yuv stream in
interlaced mode?

regards,
Michal Schulz.

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++