[MEncoder-users] mencoder dedicated box

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 26 18:32:39 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 07:24:32AM -0600, jago25_98 wrote:
> (Questions to focus on because they're probably quick to answer have a
> * next to them)
>
> I know nothing about the subject really but maybe I can break the
> question down into smaller sections.
>
> I suggest looking at articles dedicated to choosing hardware for
> compiling.
> They may help you answer questions such as:
>
> - how important is RAM; spend more on CPU?

ram speed is all-important. ram amount is irrelevant. 32 megs is just
as good as 2 gigs.

> *- how much CPU cache to use? (faster CPU or more L2 cache?)

cache matters a lot more.

> - CPU - intel Xeon, AMD64 or P4?

i would say 32bit amd. all the x86-64 stuff is experimental and
mmx,etc. stuff might not be fully utilized yet, in which case it would
be much slower. get someone else's opinion to be sure though -- it
might be supported now.

> - does/can a graphics card speed mencoder speed? (I don't even know
> this!)

of course not.

rich