[MEncoder-users] mpeg1video

"Dr. Iglói Gábor" igloi at comser.szote.u-szeged.hu
Mon Nov 15 21:22:14 CET 2004

Jan Knutar wrote:

>On Monday 15 November 2004 21:49, "Dr. Iglói Gábor" wrote:
>

>>How can I encode to a compatible MPEG1 format. If I use:
>>*
>>mencoder* -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=*mpeg1video*:vbitrate=1200
>>-nosound media.avi -o media.mpg
>>

>You could probably start by removing the asterisks (*) around mpeg1video...

Oh, I haven't used asterisks of course it's because of a buggy copy
paste operation :))).

>>BTW the source video was 640x480 at 25 DivX5.
>>

>640x480 is not a legal resolution for mpeg1, I think. Also, 1200kbit/s for
>mpeg1video at that res wont be good..

OK. So I need to convert avi videos to MPEG-I format, because I'm
helping in making PowerPoint presentations with some videos. Windoze &
PPT like this format because they uses the old mci way to play videos
and for MPEG1 that OS has native builtin support - meaning that you
don't have to bother installing DivX or other codecs on the target PC
which is playing the presentations from CD.

In MEncoder, with the above command (no *-s of course:), I can produce
fine, almost DivX quality mpg files. All fresh installed Windows
machines play them down. But the problem is that on some computers, the
playback is jamming a bit. I fired them up on gmplayer and got the video
packets buffer message from it (and it plays down the movie).

Searching Google I found out that maybe this message is because I encode
no audio in the mpeg file (-nosound, because I don't need sound and I
think mencoder doesn't support mp2 audio streams yet). Maybe the
playback is jammy because MPEG-1 is an interleaved format and other
players (not mplayer:) expect audio stream too. Avidemux2 says to my
special mpeg1 files that they need indexing.

Can you help me in this situation? Maybe another linux application that
can convert (easily) DivX to MPEG-1?