[MEncoder-users] Low framerate when grabbing from VCR

Torsten Römer troemer at swipnet.se
Sun Nov 7 22:18:39 CET 2004

When grabbing from the VCR I often get framerates below 25fps, and the
resulting video is pretty jerky.

I have enabled bttv's vcr_hack with no success.

The problem sometimes occurs even with recent recordings that have a
quite good quality.

I tried with each Composite, S-Video and Television inputs of the TV
card, always with exactly the same result.

I also tried with two different VCR's, also no difference.

When I grab from TV or DVD the problem never occurs.

I am using a Hauppauge WinTV PCI with Kernel 2.6.7. MPlayer/MEncoder
version is 1.0pre5-3.2. CPU load during grabbing is between 40 and 70%.

Is this an MEncoder or a TV card issue? Is there any solution for this?

Torsten