[MEncoder-users] mencoder and divx 5

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Dec 22 00:24:41 CET 2004

On Tuesday, 21 December 2004 at 22:54, ronnie escobedo wrote:
> I have been experienceing some problems with some of the avi files I have
> encoded. I am using -ovc lavc (divx)

Libavcodec's codec is not DivX but simply an implementation of MPEG-4.
DivX5 is another, supposedly compatible implementation of the same
standard.

> for encoding avi files some options I
> use are trell, autoaspect, deinterlacing,  and cropping. Can't recall the
> exact syntax at the momoment.
>
> On Mplayer linux/windows the avi files play fine. When I play the avi files
> in windows media or any other media player includding my video editor I
> experience problems with my video.The best way I can describe the problem
> is that the video sort of looks like when your watching a satelite feed and
> temporarily loose signal. I get small blocks of grey, blue, green, and or
> red over the video. THis is always for only a few seconds once or twice per
> video or avi file.

This might be a bug in DivX. Have you tried ffdshow? It's libavcodec-based,
so it should decode any mencoder-created mpeg4 files without problems.

> Windows medida player and my video editor are using divx 5 for decoding. I
> have used Gspot to try and diagnose the problem and have noticed that the
> avi files I have encoded in mencoder/linux are divx 4.

They aren't. They are MPEG-4.

> When I encode on
> windows using Dvd Ripper/divx 5 I don't experience the problem. However I
> do not like to encode on my windows system and prefer linux. I have tried
> removing divx 5 on windows and reinstalling it without success.
>
> Has anyone ever experienced a problem similar to this? If so how did you
> resolve?

No, but I've been using ffshow for ages.

> How can I specify mencoder/linux to encode using divx 5? I have read and
> studied the man page but quite haven't been able to figure it out. I have
> divx4linux 5x on my sytem.

You could, theoretically, use divx4linux to encode, but it's slow and gives
much lower quality than Windows version and still lower than lavc's mpeg4
codec. There's no point in using it.

> I can only speculate that the problem is the difference between divx 4 and
> 5. But this truly shouldn't be the problem since theoreticallly divx 5
> should play divx 4. Right?

Not exactly. I hope it's clear now.

R.

--