[MEncoder-users] XVID Encoding for Philips DVP642

Charles ctlist at isn.net
Sat Dec 11 08:29:16 CET 2004

Hello,

  I have a Philips DVP642 DVD player, and I'm trying to use mencoder to
convert a bunch of movie files in various formats to play on it.  I've
tried using both mpeg4 and xvid like so:

mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -o file.avi \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=1
mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -o file.avi \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vhq:vpass=2

mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
  abr:br=128 -o /dev/null \
  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts vhq=4:pass=1
mencoder source.mpg -of avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
  abr:br=128 -o file.avi \
  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts vhq=4:bitrate=1100:pass=2

with no luck.  I know it's not the burning process or the player itself,
because some xvids that I downloaded from BitTorrent and burned on the
same DVD play fine.  The ones I converted either freeze about 30 seconds
in to playing or have chunky video (it pauses and then jumps 4-5 seconds
ahead) and audio sync problems.

Anyone got some recommendations?  I prefer to use xvid or mpeg4 for the
extra compression, otherwise I'd just dump them to mpeg2, at about 2.5
times the size of the xvids.  The converted files play perfectly in
mplayer.