[MEncoder-users] high quality avi; correct syntax

Federico 'Pain' Pistono fppain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:34:27 CET 2004

Just wondering, and forgive me if the question may sound of somebody
without knowlodge about this issue, but does the resolution, at the
same bitrate, depend on the processor also or not?

I will explain myself better.
I'm often making backup copies of my dvds, and I can get a fairly good
quality (talking about the video) at about 900 Kbit per sec.
But I sometimes see that my Athlon Xp 1600 does a bit better then my
Athlon 907 at the same bitrate, using the same options.
What I was wondering about is if it's just an illusion, or there is
some sort of sense in that (maybe it's the LCD screen that does it).

How about this

#

    opt="vbitrate=900:mbd=2:keyint=132:v4mv:vqmin=3:lumi_mask=0.07:dark_mask=0.2:scplx_mask=0.1:tcplx_mask=0.1:naq"

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:$opt -nosound -o
/dev/null avs.avi
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:$opt -nosound -o
output.avi avs.avi

I then usually merge with oggmerge the audio in ogg.

However, I don't understand why people manage to have a better quality
at a lower bitrate using Nandub (?????).

Can anybody help?

Federico 'Pain' Pistono

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:12:30 -0500, D Richard Felker III
<dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:24:58PM -0600, Adam Hemphill wrote:
>

> > You get fairly good quality that way, however, if you have the disc
> > space and your editing software supports it you may want to do
> > mencoder -oac pcm instead of mp3lame since PCM is higher quality
> > than mp3. Also, the distortion you are talking about is probably
> > interlacing in the video. There is more info about that in the docs,
> > I can't give much more of an explanation than that adding -vf pp=fd
> > works for me when deinterlacing. Note that deinterlacing reduces the
> > quality of the video in some ways. I can't really give much more of
> > an explanation. Hope that helped.
>
> a better explanation: it halves the quality, or in the case of broken
> deinterlacers like fd, worse. if you have interlaced content, the only
> sane things to do are keep it interlaced, deinterlace to 50/60 fps
> (vf_tfields), or just throw away one field entirely (vf_field) rather
> than blending them together in a broken way...
>
> rich

Federico 'Pain' Pistono - Scream for me....

http://pain.altervista.org