[Libav-user] Creating seekable video files without seekable IO

Ondřej Perutka perutka.ondrej at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 17:47:02 EEST 2019

pá 20. 9. 2019 v 19:54 odesílatel Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
napsal:

> You cannot put mjpeg into mpegts, this is not a limitation of FFmpeg.

Yeah, I thought so. Thank you for the confirmation.

Did you test hardware encoding?
> Or reencoding all mjpeg input in advance?

It would be still too expensive for my use case. The storage constantly
records hundreds of streams and only a very small fraction of them is ever
downloaded via the server application that I mentioned. And yet the server
application needs to be able to serve hundreds of download requests in
parallel. So it does not make much sense to transcode the streams in any
stage.

I'll probably go with a compromise here. MPEG-TS for h264 streams and MP4
for MJPEG streams. It isn't ideal but as I understand it, there's no better
solution right now.

Thanks for your help, Ondrej