[Libav-user] How do I know when to use AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD?

Michael Armes michael.armes at gmail.com
Mon May 13 01:38:53 EEST 2019

You select forwards or backwards based on the desired outcome of where you
want to land in the file (just past or just before the desired seek
position). backwards will land you just before (or at) the seek position.
forwards will land you just after. It makes since if you consider that
there is no foreknowledge of whether a given frame is present as a
keyframe--that can only be discovered by overshooting, unless you do the
messy business of actually decoding frames, which would make for a terrible
seek indeed.