[Libav-user] Adaptive bit rate support with ffmpeg

Lukasz Marek lukasz.m.luki2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:47:26 CEST 2015

W dniu czwartek, 6 sierpnia 2015 Ramanathan Annamalai <
ramanathan.jeevana at gmail.com> napisaƂ(a):

> Can some one help me with some pointers on what I am doing wrong ?

HLS demuxed in ffmpeg doesn't scale quality for bandwidth. It is exposing
all qualities as separate streams (combined into programs), it is up for
your applicationto switch between them. ffmpeg is missing the point
(again!!!) and force every application to do over and over again the same
thing, but OTOH ffmpeg's API is not capable to support it inreasonable
manner without hacking. not sure about hls, but adaptive formats like
smooth streaming cannot be easly implemented in the way end user wish.