[Libav-user] using avpicture_deinterlace

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Sep 22 09:40:38 CEST 2014

Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at ...> writes:

> Our program is using avpicture_deinterlace
> to deinterlace frames.

This sounds like a bad idea, use yadif instead.

> if it's interlaced_frame field is true, we
> can avpicture_deinterlace to deinterlace it.

This is also a bad idea: the interlaced_frame
filed tells you how the frame was *encoded*
but to decide whether it should be deinterlaced
or not only the actual content is relevant
which is often independent of interlaced_frame.

As Hendrik explained, frames and fields within
FFmpeg are defined so that one frame consists
of two fields.
(Even in cases when this is semantically wrong.)

Carl Eugen