[Libav-user] FIlter noise

Claudio Freire klaussfreire at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 20:00:29 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Yamusani Vinay <yamusanivinay at gmail.com> wrote:
> If filter itself clips the noise then when I apply the maximum gain(i.e
> +20).Why I will get the noise?

Clipping[0] itself is a form of distortion, which you hear as noise.

Without access to the samples, your poor description is all we've got,
but I bet your problem is clipping, not the lack of it.

To avoid clipping with high gain, you have to work on floating point
samples. You'll have to eventually normalize and go back to integer
samples, but keep all intermediates in floating point.

You may want to read a bit on signal processing[1] as well.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28signal_processing%29
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing