[Libav-user] Encoding with variable frame rate

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu May 23 13:17:08 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/13, Robert Krueger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Brad O'Hearne
>> <brado at bighillsoftware.com> wrote:
>>> On May 22, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Robert Krueger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:
>>>

>> my last reply to that, I promise.

>> Have there been occasions where I disagreed with things developers
>> have decided to do or been frustrated about it? Yes, but I am not
>> really a contributor so the people doing the work have their decision
>> making process and that's what I have to live with or go find another
>> project or product to get the job done.
>
> About what you are refering to?
Very few things that I am not bringing up here because I just think
it's normal to disagree on things and this was not meant as criticism.

>> Do I have my own opinion what ffmpeg should have their priorities set
>> to? Sure, but hey, for every person actually making something happen
>> in this project, there are probably at least a hundred out there
>> thinking they know how things should be done so I bite my tongue most
>> of the time. It's not my company/project and the way to get a say in
>> these things is contributing, it's as simple as that.
>
> There is place where everyone can open new bug/feature request report.

Which I do use on a regular basis it is a good thing. The point I am
making is that my experience is that when it comes to making decisions
(where almost always trade-offs are involved), the voice of people who
contribute code is more likely to count and that IMHO is the only way
it can work (not only for ffmpeg but probably at almost any
organisation, team, company people who take responsibility get to
decide things at the end of the day).

The point of my posting was to make clear that while I do understand
that it sometimes can become frustrating trying to find out a
particular thing about ffmpeg code or functionality, I think one has
to remind oneself that you get probably the most comprehensive/capable
media codec/format library on the planet for free (even if you use it
in a commercial product and happen to get rich because of that)
including a lot of support and then you have to also live with the
implications of this not being a product you have a paid support
contract for. IMHO this means you
- should be humble when telling people how they should or should not run things
- should not come here with a demanding attitude, expecting ffmpeg
devs to take the time to post working code examples for your case even
if they probably could or even expect anything. see anything that
comes as a free gift.
- if you think things should/could be improved, get involved by one of
the following:
  - contribute code or docs
  - make good bug reports (concise, reproducible, taking away as much
work from the dev as possible) or feature requests (and live with it
if nobody works on them, because nobody really has to)
  - sponsor development

Cheers,

Robert

Hope that clears up potential misunderstandings.